Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Intracoastal Thunderstorm


I took this photo a few years back, and just happened across it today in my morgue file of pictures taken to use in my paintings, drawings, and mixed media distressed artworks. The light thundershowers we had off and on yesterday (and I do mean light) reminded me how rapidly the weather can go back and forth here in south Florida. While doing my laps I had to get out of the pool two times while a thundershower passed. Each time there was just enough rain to wet the pavers around the pool. However, the showers weren't an annoyance because they served as the proverbial self-pinch, as though God were reminding me how fortunate I am to be able to live this life in retirement. Those of us in my generation have our retirement at a time when so many younger persons in the education profession can no longer hope to have this retirement lifestyle since the powers that be seem to be set against educators in general, and most specifically those in public education.

O-o-ops, I seem to have fallen into a bit of a mini-diatribe about that which I perceive as an inequity in our culture, not so subtly perpetrated by the super rich corporate oligarchy through FOX News and other political outlets. I don’t apologize for my digression, though I do thank God every day for this wonderful retirement that many middle class persons in my generation have been able to achieve!

No comments: