Thursday, June 14, 2012

Celandine poppy (Stylophorum diphyllum)

(I think)




These gorgeous yellow flowers seem to glow with a special intensity. They bloom helter skelter in my garden in early to mid-June every year, and reseed themselves. I have been able to make them come up where I want them in succeeding years by shaking the spent blossoms over prepared soil. I went through illustrated lists of flowers on the Web and found this, Celandine poppy, to be the closest in appearance to my flowers. However, the photo shows leaves that have curved edges with light fuzz on the backs, and my flowers have leaves that are narrow and more pointed. So, I’m not completely sure about the identity of these bright sunny flowers.

I cut one of the blossoms from the plant and placed it on a black sheet of construction paper to make the first photo. I also include a photo of the flowers blooming in the garden.

No comments: