Saturday, May 29, 2010

How to Downplay the 2010 Gulf Oil Spill Disaster.

Or, What not to do and say…

8:45 – Larry King – Two days ago.

I listened to T. Boone Pickens compare the 2010 Gulf Oil Spill to an airplane crash in which a hypothetical 300 people and two expert pilots died. I suppose he thought that would be a far worse disaster than the 11 men killed in the deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion, and the subsequent quite probable destruction of an entire region’s ecology due to the millions of gallons of oil floating on top of and deep within the waters of the Gulf (those strange plumes of oil and other toxins dissolved and mixed with sea water) - not to mention the total loss of economic livelihood for hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of people in the region and beyond.

“Oh, Why is that, John?”

“Because, dear alter ego, The Gulf Region of the United States has the 29th most important economy in the world.”



Pickens was out of touch on both ends of his inappropriate comparison! I do get it – considering his ties to oil – he is bound to defend the industry. Never the less, I find myself thinking of him as the Marie Antoinette of the American oil oligarchy. We face the greatest man made disaster in American history, the possible destruction of the entire Gulf coastal region wet lands, fishing and tourist industries, as well as the destruction of scalloping, shrimp and oyster beds for decades to come. He might as well say – “Let them drink, drown, and be poisoned by oil besmirched seas.”

I honestly believe Pickens thought he sounded reasonable. However, if such minimizing is to be the mantra of conservative Republicans, and the rich oil guys, how misanthropic!

Computer up and Running

I spent parts of 3 days on the telephone with Apple this past week. Ultimately, we had to rebuild my computer’s system from the ground up. Thank you God – and I mean that – for teaching me last year that I must constantly back everything up in at least two locations other than the computer itself. I still believe the problem originated with “Google Analytics,” because I had no problems with the computer until I downloaded it from Google. That program is supposed to enhance your search capabilities.

U-u-uh U-u-u-uh! Don’t do it! You will rue the day.

No comments: