Friday, May 14, 2010

Home Again, Home Again


Naughty Mary Yeti

We are back in wonderful lower-slower Delaware after a week and two days of travel and time spent with Joe's sister in Marianna, FL - that small town in the pan-handle of Florida made famous by the Naughty Mary Yeti, and - and - and. No, seriously, Marianna is a beautiful little town,"The City of Southern Charm," and home to Chipola College, and a great and new little Mexican restaurant, Los Guerrerenses - but, more about that in another entry.

When we drove back into Delaware last night, it was 54 degrees Fahrenheit. Both of us were in shorts, having been use to daytime temps in the 90's and lows in the upper 60's to mid 70's. I've still got goose bumps!

Gulf Oil Spill Ten Times Worse than BP Discloses



As I write I'm listening to the news on PBS radio from Tucson, in the Nazi state of Arizona, and I've just heard that an independent scientific laboratory finds the rate of the leak in the Gulf is much worse than BP has disclosed. Of course BP maintains the report is incorrect. I can't get over the NBC News / Wall Street Journal poll that says 6 out of 10 Americans still favor off shore drilling, and that most Americans also support Arizona's Draconian Immigration Law. Welcome to the Twenty-first Century of Reactionary America's precipitous fall into second class nation status. What happened to our pioneering spirit in which we confronted and solved new problems Aggressively?

Instead of holding onto "Drill Baby Drill," we should be shouting - as China, Japan, France, Great Britain, and most of the rest of the advanced nations are quietly stating through actions - "Alternative Energy Baby, Alternative Energy!"

Ah, but that just sounds too complicated for American tin ears.

I still have to finish my 4 part entry about our trip to Key West, and I promise I will do so in my next entry.

1 comment:

Betsy Grant said...

Its usually the simple, truthful things that man finds complicated.