Tuesday, May 13, 2014

May Graphics

Once again I continue the series of monthly graphic art reviews for the past six years begun in January 2014

2008



The photo shows all the graphic material I designed to send out to galleries in the year of the Great Recession. Actually it started in January of 2007, possibly earlier, but that’s another story. In 2008 I designed these materials and took them and/or sent them to galleries with little or no response. Some were returned marked “Addressee Unknown” as so many small businesses and galleries failed that year. This was my last hurrah seeking gallery representation. Today I show only through Art and other organizations.

2009



Giuseppe Arcimbaldo, a Renaissance artist made portrait paintings composed of food and vegetables. I used this as an antecedent to the artwork of Jan Svankmajer in my post for May 16, 2009.

2010



The Republican slogan that election year of the great BP Gulf Oil Spill was DRILL BABY DRILL. I designed this graphic for my post of May 19,2010. I changed that slogan to the epitaph “Drill Equals Kill!” If we aren’t careful that will be the result of drilling at sea - the death of the earth’s great oceans, not to mention all the creatures therein and one of our major food sources. Of course, the death of the oceans would be the major component in the death of planet Earth. And, yes, Virginia, we do have the potential to destroy our home.

I have since stopped posting about such calamities because there will not be any change in humanity's propensity toward self-destruction just because I complain about it.

2011



“I remember when all this was trees” by Banksy was one of several images I posted of the phantom artists graffiti paintings, one of 3 entries on this blog about Banksy. He is one of my all time favorites because his subversive artwork often appears on derelict structures, appropriate to the expression of his concerns.

2012



I made this graphite powder drawing of Marlin Brando smoking pot back in 1980. Yes I copied the photograph as exactly as possible, emphasizing the photographic characteristics in a super large, Super Realism format (32’ x 40”). I used a studio publicity photo that I had bought in New York City, and I believe to this day that when a visual artist converts a photograph to super or hyperrealism, he/she changes the nature of the artwork, both in media, and technique, but especially in conceptualization so as to make it his/her own.

The Super Real drawings are from the 1970's to early 80's, the time I call my "fifteen minutes,” because I made and sold many graphite drawings to theater, music and motion picture industry persons in New York City.* In late fall of1979 I was engaged to shoot photos and draw a Hyper real drawing of the Dakota for Yoko Ono and John Lennon, but we all know what happened to prevent that from happening.

This particular drawing of Brando resides along with a set of similar drawings in our Goddaughter’s restaurant, Characters in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

2013



“Lesbos”(16” x 16”) is a mixed media distressed painting made as part of the “LGBT Pictionary” presented during Gay Pride month, June 2013 at Camp Rehoboth, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.


Notes

*Andy Warhol coined the phrase, "in the future everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes."

No comments: