Saturday, September 29, 2012

Gay Marriage: Over and Over and-a Over Again


This 8” x 8” mixed media distressed painting is part of my new series,
Gay Dictionary

The dictionary is composed of artworks based on words related to the term “Gay” in all permutations of meaning including puns, synonyms, similar terms, and antonyms.

I’m finishing the first six of these – FINALLY! Now, I only have 19 more to start and finish in the first set of small paintings. Actually, I’ve started 2 more, but just barely.

The image in this particular painting is from our August 15th Marriage Ceremony at the Metropolitan Community Church of New York, officiated by the Reverend Pat Bumgardner. The painting might also be titled “Same Sex Marriage,” but I thought two words was enough. I've telescoped the image because I wanted to convey the feeling that the issue of "Gay Marriage" has been front and center this entire year. "Everybody's doing it, doing it. Even all the birds and bees"... well not quite. But, there is this social, and seemingly inevitable cultural drift pushing us toward acceptance by state, and at least some denominations of the Christian church.

2 comments:

Kittredge Cherry said...

Pat Bumgardner is a friend and colleague of mine! I am so excited that she did the honors of united you in marriage. This image is stunningly beautiful!

Anonymous A said...

Thanks so much for your comment, Kit! Our wedding service was one of the most beautiful moments of our lives, and Joe and I will cherish the memory. As one in our wedding party (a practicing Catholic) said to Reverend Pat, "Thank you ( ) - I felt the presence of God."