Saturday, April 7, 2012

WAVE SERIES II


With the completion of the first WAVE in series II, a 32” x 40” pastel painting, I find myself looking at every kind of ocean wave, big, small, clear, dirty, stormy, sunny, smashing on rocks, or slowly rolling onto a beach. You name it, I want to see it and photograph it. The intent is to paint more of these series II WAVES, and I wrote about why that is so in the March 28th journal entry.

So, the other day I went to the beach, camera in hand and shot several hundred photos of the miniature south Florida Atlantic waves one finds when the wind is almost nonexistent and blowing off the land. The water wasn’t quite flat though it definitely looked no bumpier than a large fresh water lake might on a breezy day. It was also the most interesting shade of blue/aqua-green I think I’ve ever seen, very transparent, but with a slight gray shimmer, almost as though a thin molecular coating of milk covered the surface. I include one of the photos here, though reduced in size and detail. The crystal clear fingers of water in the breaking wave are fascinating, and I like the way some shells, and pebbles bend small waves of water around their forms while others are slightly blurred or crystal clear. Ultimately, I know I will choose one or two sections from this photograph to become WAVE #2 and #3 in Series II.”

1 comment:

Artist's Eye Fine Art Gallery said...

Hi John
Hope to meet you and your partner this Wed in Miami Beach at the GLCT community center. Timothy