Sunday, February 26, 2012

Isaac Stolzfuts’ Return: Part I



This is "Part I" of two videos titled Isaac Stolzfuts’ Return. The reader can find much more about Isaac at his old Blog titled Isaac Stolzfut’s Journal, linked here (Isaac Stolzfut’s Journal). Actually, he is a character I created as part of my doctoral dissertation at New York University during the 1990’s. That dissertation, published in 2000 was titled, Isaac Stolzfuts: Images About Male Sexuality and Culture. At the time I envisioned Isaac to be a worldly Pennsylvania Dutch farmer and outsider artist who dressed in silver foil to express the isolation he experienced as a married closeted gay family man. Over time he became so much more than that because he had achieved an independence that denied my authorship. He achieved a virtual life on the Web as a retired resident of the Pine Needle Retirement Home in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. After several years in the retirement home, he decided to strike out on his own in a warmer climate, moved to south Florida where he created a new life for himself. Isaac Stolzfut’s Journal began on July 1, 2003 and continued until his grandson, Adam posted a memorial to Isaac on Wednesday, October 10, 2007. At that point I began to write this journal, The Art of John Bittinger Klomp.

2 comments:

Betsy Grant said...

I love that you use your creativity in so many ways.

Anonymous said...

I thought he was real. Glad to know he wasn't murdered.