Saturday, April 25, 2009

Watercolor



I’m punning about the actual color of the ocean water here in south Florida. Just look at this selection of photographs from our many visits to the beach. The color(s) change depending on the wind direction and its velocity, time of the year, and sunlight. I’ve taken thousands of these photographs, and I’ll take thousands more. I might take ten to twenty images of a particular subject before I find the one that is perfect. The others I trash. I never know what colors I will find to photograph when I visit the beach.

The photographs themselves serve as guides for my pastel drawings of beach, ocean and marsh though I never use a single image to draw from. Instead, I take several and choose elements from each to incorporate in the drawings. Often I use Adobe Photoshop software to meld these photomontages together seamlessly. That way the original individual photographs remain independent of the drawings, works of art in their own right.

No comments: