Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Meditation on Ancient Reef and Sea


Literally, the figure in the middle ground sits upon and meditates on the ancient reef. I like to think that she has lost herself in the immensity of ocean, sky and beach just as I often do on those days my partner and I make our visits to the beach. I’m pleased with the end product, though sometimes I wish I did not have such a terrible compulsion to do labor intensive work with the thousand marks-per-square-inch technique, and almost photographic detail. Also, I ran out of steam the last three weeks, and finally took the pressure off by reassuring myself that these drawings are - at least some of the time - an act of slow and deliberate contemplation.

It seems such a terrible admission, to write here that three months were spent working on this pastel. I have a few excuses, but I’ll not offer any here.

Suffice it to say, “shame on me!”

No comments: