Monday, June 15, 2015

Doing Laps In the Pool, the Universe and God



The Waterverse (printed version 8" x 10")

I get a glimpse of God and the universe when I do my laps in the pool. I’ve said so before. The rhythm - kick, stroke, and breath – repeated has something to do with it, as well as the patterns of sunlight reflected through the water to the pool bottom. I describe my best swim as being like an infinitesimal mote floating on a feather on the breath of God. I’ve even come to see that the patterns in the shimmering water reflect patterns in our expanding universe, as in the photomontage I made for this entry.* Do I find meaning in the similarity? Yes! Do I understand that meaning intellectually, and can I express it? I’m not so sure. Suffice it to say that I know God because when I swim I am able to suspend all of the other sparkling refracted and reflected images of my life for a brief moment in time.

* The image was made by overlapping a photo taken from “Science Blogs” (http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2013/08/16/what-does-the-universe-really-look-like/) with a photo I took of wave patterns in the lap pool. I viewed the Science Blog image on Monday, June 15, 2015 at ll:30 AM, EDT. Adobe Photoshop was used to meld the two into one.

No comments: