Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Meryl Streep Portrait: Part V

Panel Row #2, Column #2 finished

Once again, this panel took longer than expected. There are two weeks left to finish two more panels, and so far it has taken a week and one half to finish each of the first four panels. Why do I do this to myself in retirement? The alter ego tells me it is necessary to keep an edge on, and old age at bay, at least for the time being.  However, I think that is wishful thinking.

The paint I pre mixed has gotten too thin over time, so it was necessary to double coat everything rather than struggle to mix new colors to match. There are now 18 pre mixed colors, and 6 new colors mixed on the palette where needed in this panel. There were also several colors mixed on palette that were used in previous panels. Fortunately I am still able to mix to match almost exactly based on sight alone. One of these colors was a lighter version of the pre mixed tan. I had to mix it again in order to give the nose more dimension. On the computer manqué the nose looks too flat. In these large panels it does not.*

I will have to touch up several spots where the paint is still too thin, but over all I am extremely pleased with these panels. They match precisely around the edges so that when assembled the five and one half by seven foot painting will be almost seamless. As stated before, it is necessary to work on these thirty by thirty inch panels because the painting must be transported in our car, and because the studio is too small to allow for larger canvases. Someday, I’d like to convert the garage into a second studio so there is space for larger paintings. However, the advantage of this procedure is that the panels can also be hung separately, individually, or in groups of two. Though there are only four of the six panels finished - and two of these panels are propped up on the wall - one can easily recognize Meryl Streep in them.

So, Tomorrow I move on to the bottom two panels and Meryl's mouth. There will be at least 10 new colors, various reds to be mixed.


* manqué - here I am referring to the “inferior” computer generated image I made to use as a guide in making the painting. It is of necessity inferior to the final painted version as it is so small compared to the 5 x 7 & 1/2 foot painting, and the color is flat and vastly inferior to the painterly quality of the fished artwork.

No comments: