Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Madonna Sketched and Mapped


I’ve finished drawing Madonna into the 3 by 4 foot canvas. I realize these pencil lines are deceptive, and that this bit of draftsmanship doesn’t look much like Madonna. However it is the most difficult part of the process. The actual painting has its daily problems, but I enjoy it so much more than the meticulous mapping from the small manqué to the large canvas. The problem with mapping is that it must be perfect or the likeness is lost. That means that this, the hardest part of the process is also the most important.

Tomorrow, the much more involved and time consuming part of the project commences. I will mix a palette of about 8 colors plus white and then start to paint.*

*By mixing these 8 colors with white and one another a palette of many more colors will be obtained.

1 comment:

Anoush said...

Jane, Just so you know, you are the one who inspired me to use any media I chose and it has made all of the difference. I love your latest workshop work and as soon as I can unpack my studio.