Saturday, July 21, 2012

Cape Henlopen

July 12, 2012



Spending a day on Cape Henlopen is much more relaxing than the typical visit to beach resorts, because the Delaware state park has been kept mostly in its natural state. The cape has a magnificent “dunescape” including the highest dune between Capes Cod and Hatteras. Wild life is abundant, including deer, and many different species of birds. There is a nature center with nature trails for bird watchers, hikers, and bikers as well as a campground with mobile home facilities, and summer camps and dorms for nonprofit use. Also within the borders of the park is Fort Miles, the now closed historic World War II base with its guns barracks and observation towers designed to protect Atlantic Seaboard shipping from German U-boats. However, I will hold Fort Miles for another journal entry.

My partner and I spend many days exploring and visiting the various beaches in the park. I have stated in the past that whenever I am by the ocean I am in church, and Cape Henlopen is one of God’s most magnificent cathedrals.

No comments: