Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cold, Cold and more Cold!

I know I shouldn’t complain because I could be sitting in 44 inches of snow, as are all my friends and family in Lancaster Pennsylvania. However, it has been running ten to twenty degrees below normal here in South Florida since the last week in December. The coconut palms are brown and forlorn, and they express exactly my own feelings about this El Nino weather with their lower branches broken and pointing directly to the ground. I also know that in the past other El Nino years have brought repeated heavy snow and cold to Lancaster County. So, is this one any different? Definitely in severity, proving scientist’s contention that extreme weather is a property of climate change. Thus, I am really tired of listening to the conservative and liberal pundits argue over the possibility of such, when it is so obvious to the rest of our planet’s population that “CLIMATE CHANGE IS A FACT.” I don’t give a (BLEEP) what your idiotic opinion about said change is, Rush and Glenn. And, Keith and Rachel, you don’t need to argue with those two knee jerk fools.


Be that as it may, I am extremely tired of this cold and wet winter. So, I looked in my photographic files for a picture that would lift my spirits, and I found this one from Butterfly World, that wonderfully unexpected Zen-like venue in the middle of the Gold Coast. I took the photo in 2008, and looking at it reminds me of walking into the rain forest environment with the thousands of butterflies flying everywhere around me. I'm also reminded that butterflies are a wistful metaphor for our own short lives, and these beautiful creatures tell us that Jesus, Muhammad, Siddhartha Gautama and all the other manifestations of God want us to make the most beautiful and perfect lives that we possibly can.* To do anything else is not only woefully inadequate, but also sinful.

KD Lang at the Winter Olympics 2010

If you didn't see the opening ceremonies you have to play the incomparable Ms. Lang singing Leonard Cohen'a masterpiece.

Okay. Now you can no longer view and listen to Ms. Lang courtesy of the Olympic Committee. Ain't it wonderful!


*I am not quoting the Baha'i faith. I have reached my own conclusions concerning God's love for the creation and those men and women who seem to retain a thorough connection to and knowledge of God throughout there lives.

No comments: