Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Untitled Photomontage


I am working on a small (H-m-m-m-m-m-m!) project for a judged exhibition in Fort Lauderdale. It is one of many, a sideline of digital images that I have worked on since 1995. The first of these were exhibited in Rehoboth Beach Delaware in 2001 and 2002, and more were created for Isaac Stolzfuts' Journal. All of the images are composed of many strata -the current work is sixty Photoshop layers – with overlapping forms, text, geometric, free form shapes and stripes interposed. These last are a reference to American Precisionist art of the Twentieth Century, specifically that of Charles Demuth. The current photomontage diverges slightly from the others because the layers create the illusion of seeing through time, past and future. There are at least two references to Nine Eleven, including an image of the “Freedom Tower” now under labored construction in New York. I am also trying to make a statement about the necessity to include lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people as first class citizens. The Bill of Rights, Article IX, specifically states that, and I am paraphrasing, rights not stated in the constitution are not to be denied the people (note, "the people," not, some of the people). Additionally, I hope all of my montages invite the viewer to create his/her own narrative about an animal,animals, person or persons in the image. This piece will present the viewer with detailed instructions “a la” Marcel Duchamp to do so. And, of course the male torso in the foreground is meant to titillate gay men.

I'm worried that the photomontage is looking like an over stuffed turkey. The image will be printed at 8 x 10 inches, and I fear that some of the text will be unreadable because of that size limitation. I will print a test/proof today, though I have at least ten more layers to create. The proof I present here is a quarter of the pixels that the final printed version will be. I have too many expectations for the work I fear, and a title escapes me (Cyberspace entities may wish to suggest titles.). Of course, as soon as it is finished and signed it is no longer mine, and is open to any/all interpretation and criticism. Or, it may simple disappear into the art black hole, as so much fine art does.

No comments: