Thursday, August 22, 2013

Leonardo DiCaprio as “Gatsby:” Part IV

Another in a series of blog entries in which I discuss the process I use to create an oversized acrylic portrait painting.



The second 30” square (column 1, row b) is almost finished. Once again, I must pause and begin work on the next 2 squares (column 2, row a and row b) in order to know exactly how to finish this square. The pause is necessary to make sure colors, brush strokes, and patches of color match across squares.

The square looks almost nonobjective though the shape of Gatsby's nose in the lower right side of the picture plane (as I face it) is malapropic.* It just looks wrong. I had to reexamine the original sketch repeatedly as I painted to make sure it was not incorrectly represented.

In the next entry I will compare the two finished painting sections to the original squared sketch in order to demonstrate how these diverge from the original miniature concept.* I promised to do so in the August 14th entry.



Notes

*malapropic is a word used to describe the misuse of similar words with different meanings in language. Never the less, Gatsby's nose looks as though it is an incorrectly used shape here, and somehow the sliding of meaning from words to images seemed appropriate in my own meta malapropic word usage.

*2 Back in ancient history, say about 1961, when I was a junior in High School the term(s) "squared" and "squaring" were used to signify the method of drafting a grid on top of a small sketch in order to enlarge it into a much larger grid on wall, ceiling, canvas or panel. Today it seems that the term used is always, "grid." I can find few references to the term squared or squaring except as these apply to algebra.

No comments: