Tuesday, March 22, 2011

“Supermoon”


Why not make it one word, like, Superman. After all, he didn’t even exist, and the super moon did exist for one night plus a “whole nother,” as so many people say these days (that last, a pet peeve of mine). Why can’t people say, “another?” “Another” is easier to say. It is one word versus two. Actually that’s wrong. “Nother” isn’t even a word! What jackass invented “NOTHER?” If he/she can invent “nother,” I can invent the word, “Supermoon.”


So, “Supermoon it is!

I went to the beach on the evening of March 19th, to look at the “Supermoon,” and I took my camera and tripod in order to make some time exposures by “Supermoonlight.” The beach was packed with people, and a carnival atmosphere enveloped me as I walked onto the sand from our local mini boardwalk and pavilion. At first I had a bit of trouble finding all the camera controls in the dark, but adjusted fairly quickly. I heard someone say, “It’s lost all the color now,” and was immediately sorry I hadn’t gotten to the beach early enough to watch, and shoot the “Supermoonrise.” Never the less, I had a great time taking pictures of that huge silver orb, 14% larger than normal. The weather guy on TV had explained that the full moon was at perigee as opposed to apogee in its orbit.

Amazingly, I heard some negative comments about the moon as I was shooting the time exposures. Things like, “What’s so spectacular about this moon?” and, “You’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all.” I might have thought and said something similar when I was twenty something.

Sleeper awake!

In the photographs shown here, I’ve taken the liberty of superimposing a reduced in size NASA photo of the full moon taken from space onto the burned out hole the “Supermoon” made in the original digital image. The images I shot were taken with the camera set on delay so that I could have hands off the camera while the time exposure was in process for several seconds. The images are quite grainy because I should have set the ISO to 100 when shooting. Instead, I forgot. The camera was set to “auto,” and the little mini-computer set the ISO much higher. Of course, I almost always set the camera ISO at 100 or 200, so why did I forget that night? Whenever the next “Supermoon” occurs, I plan to be on the beach in time to watch the “Supermoonrise,” and take many more time exposure photographs by “Supermoonlight with the ISO set to 100!”

2 comments:

Betsy Grant said...

I so enjoyed reading your comments on the lighter side of "freedom of speech" but that's a whole nother subject)! Thanks so much for your kind comments on my blog. I totally agree that we need to highlight the beauty that is ever-present in life.

Anonymous A said...

Thanks so much, Betsy! Yes, we need to highlight the amazing beautiful world God gave us, and save it from the voracious greedy chunk of mankind for future generations.