Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Biking and Photographing Saltwater Marshes


In order to make drawings of Southern and Central Delaware saltwater marshes I have been photographing everywhere I go, whether in the car or on my bicycle. Of course with gas prices above four dollars, I prefer too shoot from the bicycle as much as possible though that limits the area I can cover as I lug backpack, camera, water, and equipment in hot weather. I use my backpack because I like to keep the camera cool. That means I must also wear shirts to protect my shoulders and back from the chaffing straps. The July heat is a factor, because if I’m all wet and nasty it is extremely difficult to set and aim the camera without “sliming” it with perspiration salts. However, this is the best time of the year to shoot the marshes because the grasses are so lush and green, though I look forward to shooting marshes with fall foliage as well. These photographs are nothing special as photographs go, and they will only be used as aids for drawing. However, I will make some trips early in the morning for sunrise with mist, and I hope some of those pictures will be best used as photographs. My Ten megapixel Sony camera allows me to make 11 by 14 inch prints, and larger, without losing any detail for the first time since I’ve been using digital cameras, and that goes all the way back to the apple camera we had at work back in 1996. Hopefully I will have some fine art saltwater marsh photographs to post later this summer or in the early fall.

No comments: